Sunday, September 19, 2010

Fescue, Life, and Death

This afternoon I planted grass seed in between our Sunday morning worship service and our evening gathering.

Just prior, in the morning service, we baptised Glenn Greeno, the young child of one of the newest families in our congregation. This evening, we will be gathering in memorial of a dear friend and brother, Tim Werkema, one of our deacons who passed away in a tragic accident this week.

I couldn't help but be struck by the stark contrast of celebrating new life and mourning recent death in such close proximity one to another--in fact at the same time. After church, as I was engaged in my chore of planting seeds, I remembered these words: "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit."

Just as new fescue comes from the old, I guess our life and death aren't so radically separated after all. For our brother Tim also experienced new life this week, just as our new brother Glenn was brought into the new life of the body of Christ.

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die."

0 comments:

Post a Comment